Friday, June 17, 2011

Eating Like Swiss Kings (Konigs?)

 (Note: I can only get Internet access for 15 minutes per day on the computers in our Munich hotel, so for the next 3 days I´ll be posting everything at once, sorry!  Also, I can´t upload pictures from this computer, so those will be added later once I can get some Wi-Fi for my laptop.)
(...Also, German keyboards suck.  This note took way longer to type than it should have.)

A combination of jetlag, late afternoon naps, and an absurdly early bedtime (11PM? What?) led to my entire family arising somewhere around 5 AM this morning, one full hour before we could get to the much-anticipated breakfast buffet.  So we hung around, got our stuff packed, and fiddled around on the internet in the lobby until around 6:15, at which point we all rallied near the reception desk and prepared ourselves for a breakfast that would hopefully do our obese American roots proud.

We wandered into the dining area, which was actually the hotel's Dim Sum (huh?) restaurant's early-morning setup.  And oh, what a glorious sight awaited us.  The Mövepark Hotel's breakfast buffet was a Swiss feast of epic proportions, featuring all manner of cheeses, breads, meats, fish, eggs, fruits, and yogurts.  In my quest to try as many native foods as possible, I loaded up on every kind of cheese available, as well as some cold smoked trout, salmon, and ham, rounding the spread out with some sausage, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and a glorious slice of deli-fresh Liverwurst (liver sausage).  
I make only the healthiest breakfasts.
The food was incredible, and excellently prepared, and I am pleased to say the Liverwurst was awesome - this is something that I've tried in deli-sliced form at home, and it was a new but delicious experience to try it in a soft, paté-esque style, spread on a slice of fresh, crusty bread with a piece or two of Gruyere cheese.
Becky, heading back for more.
We had a great time at breakfast, passing around our favorite foods for others to try and laughing at Jess's insistence that she only be photographed with an empty setting in front of her, so as to prove that she did the Biggest Loser proud by not giving in to the high-calorie Swiss breakfast foods.  My personal favorite combination, aside from my Liverwurst-and-Gruyere masterpiece, was a "Breakfast Burrito" made by wrapping a slice of smoked ham around a hunk of cheese and some hash browns.  Delish.

Now it's time for the train to Munich, but I'll keep that as a separate post so as to not to overwhelm you with too much text.

Til next time, Auf Wedersehen, meine Freunde!

1 comment:

  1. saw your blog on my fb newsfeed, sounds like you're having an awesome time, you're making me miss europe!!

    ReplyDelete