Friday, June 17, 2011

The Train to Munich, and my First "Dumb American" Moment

(Note: So I'd hoped to be able to get the last post up before we got on the train, but unfortunately the only location with free internet in Zurich was our hotel lobby, and I couldn't connect anywhere else to upload it before I got around to writing this one.  I will try to put up smaller posts more frequently, so you don't have to deal with it all at once, but I have a feeling that I will not get more than one shot at an internet connection each day.  You'll have to deal with a couple posts in quick succession each time I can upload, since I have to write them offline on my laptop until I can connect.  Sorry 'bout that, I'll try to make them entertaining enough to read through, I promise!)
(Addendum to note: If you didn´t see the one on the other post, I can only get 15 minutes of internet in the lobby at our hotel, so more frequent posts will have to wait til I can get reliable Wi-Fi.  Also, pictures will be added later, I have lots, don´t worry.  I delayed this post so you could have some recuperation time since the last, hope it helped!)

We hopped the train to Munich with relatively little difficulty, despite the massive amount of luggage that we had to heave around with us (2+ weeks of clothes and shoes is rather difficult to keep to a size that could be called "easily transportable").  However, to make things extra confusing for a group of perpetually-one-step-from-lost Americans, we were soon informed that construction on the train system would require that, instead of the hoped-for one-train shot to Munich, we would have to take a train to some town, hop onto a bus, then drive to another train, take it to another small town, then switch to one last train which would (theoretically) deposit us in Munich.  The train rides themselves were very smooth, with lots of lovely scenery, pictured below:
And by "scenery" I mean the sweet old car that drove by.
Along the way, I noticed a bunch of these small little organic-commune-looking areas, which I have so far been unable to get a picture of (never seem to have my camera out when we pass one), but I'll see if I can Google it when I get access to the internet.  Basically, they're a bunch of hobbit-sized wooden huts in a large garden, likely some sort of Green-living setup or something. 
I actually did get a picture of one!
This second train was the site of my first, and likely last attempt to speak German in an everyday setting.  Crammed into the loading area of the train for the duration of the ride, I noticed a middle-aged German lady standing next to me, who was giving off a distinct "I Probably Don't Speak Much English" vibe.  Spying a few open seats near my dad, I thought to use my Rosetta Stone skills to offer her a seat.  The conversation went something like this:

Me (thinking it's time to show off some German like a bawse): "Mochte Sie setzen?  Eineger Platzen isten Frei."  (my sad attempt to say, "Do you want to sit down? Some of the seats are free.")

Lady: "Ohh, nein, ich froudenbagerstaftenseemacheidermochtigburgerkingwartung..." (best approximation)

Me: "..."

Lady: "Sie frauustenbirstrerlflagenbasutermachticgetlet?" (once again, approximation)

Me: "Uhhh...Ich spreche ein kleine Deutsche..." ("I speak little German")

I had clearly failed in my assessment of the situation, as what I had take for a "Speaks Little English" look had turned out to be a full-blown "Speaks Absolutely No English Whatsoever" look.  She continued to try to speak to me in German for about 5 more minutes, to which I could only shrug, nod, and look as uncomfortable as humanly possible.  I pulled out my little German-to-English dictionary, hoping to find something that could help me, but to no avail.  So I just kind of waited for her to stop, then spent the rest of the train ride in awkward silence.  
You have failed me, little Wörterbuch.
Fortunately, I was saved somewhat when German girl got on the train at the next stop and started talking to her, which took the attention away from my obvious avoidance of any further conversation.  They were probably talking about me, now that I think about it, and I feel like I earned the name I chose for this blog somewhat.  Gonna keep my mouth shut from now on, at least until I know the person can speak at least some basic English.

The rest of the ride was relatively smooth, and I am writing this from the comfortable seats of our third, and fortunately least-crowded train.  I think we're about an hour away from Munich, so I'm going to see if I can sneak in a little nap before we arrive.

Til next time, Auf Wedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment